Re: UTL_FILE.FOpen ends with Ora-00600 internal error when file pathis null (Win2K 8.1.7.0.0)

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 23:54:25 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:
> Karsten Farrell wrote:

>>Maybe you should try that one in the OpenHack contest sponsored by eWeek
>>magazine. A couple of years ago, the hacker won $1000 for breaking into
>>Oracle by using the default password to the MDSYS account (after reading
>>in the Oracle docs how complicated it is to change without breaking
>>something else and figuring Ziff-Davis Pub hadn't done it).

> $1000 for something that simple. Darn.
>
> But then again anyone that doesn't change the default passwords, all of
> them, deserves what they get.
>
> Daniel Morgan

Yes, it does seem like easy money. See Metalink Note 160861.1 for a list of the default users. But I guess the problem with DBSNMP is that you can't just 'ALTER USER DBSNMP IDENTIFIED BY newpassword;' unless you want to generate a bunch of 'NMS-00205' failures in your dbsnmp.log file.

See Metalink Note 70174.1 and 168549.1 for details on how to correctly change it, but the basic steps are (in case someone is wondering):

  1. Stop the Intelligent Agent
  2. Add one or two lines to the snmp_rw.ora file
  3. Alter DBSNMP user's password in the database
  4. Start the Intelligent Agent
  5. Edit catsnmp.sql to make sure no one runs it to undo your hard work
  6. Change permissions on catsnmp.sql