temp tablespace filling up - why??

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 19:44:46 GMT

We have a new DB coming online in the new year that I have created 6 instances for the purpose of testing, conversion, development etc. All db's were created with the same script, with some minor differences ie different sized rollback seg's depending on its purpose.

One of the db's temp tablespace is filling up whenever a certain proc is run, I started with a 2 gig temp locally managed, when it filled I set autoextend on with no limit as we have lots of room, it grew to 33 gig and stopped. Created another temp dictionary managed and tried that, same story.

The vendors suggested that I run ODBC trace on it so they could look at the trace file, so I exported the db that was filling its temp tbspc and imported it to a test db, as they were still entering info into that db. I turned ODBC tracing on and ran the proc, and it ran without a hitch and never filled the temp tbspc to more than 20%! As far as I can see the db's are more or less identical, so I'm somewhat mystified as to why one db's temp space is filling up so fast.

Ideas?

TIA Received on Wed Oct 23 2002 - 14:44:46 CDT