Re: getting started with oracle db

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:49:21 GMT

brian wrote:
> in order to start with oracle db (and cert prep as well) i plan to
> install oracle db server on one of my test boxes. i guess NT platform
> would be better to start with due to reasons like a GUI that comes
> with NT installs.
> would NT install be recommended for beginners in oracle, just to know
> how oracle installs, its services, its install directories, etc etc.

As long as you realize that unix installs are a completely different animal, NT is a good choice. You pretty much insert the CD and follow the prompts (as Microsoft is fond of saying). Of course, some of the prompts are a wee bit difficult to decipher for a beginner ... sounding like they're asking for identical answers to slightly different wording of questions.

> what books are there that can help in such a situation, ie step by
> step install and basic configuration steps to set a oracle db. (and
> then start with learning other details of oracle database etc and cert
> preparation as well)

A book that I recommended to a developer here at work who has a masochistic desire to become a DBA is: "Oracle DBA 101" by Theriault, Carmichael, and Viscusi (Osborne/McGraw-Hill). Look in the Oracle section of your bookstore for a red-orange book with a big yellow "101" on the spine. It covers a lot of the basics, including installing Oracle (though it's quickly getting dated). Received on Wed Oct 23 2002 - 11:49:21 CDT