Re: moving to Oracle need recomendations...

From: Bill Lucas <WCLucas_at_coolblue.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:42:25 GMT

We are starting to lean toward a more complete reworking of the application. As I am becoming familiar with Oracle it seems that some of the concepts I relied upon in SQL Server 2K don't even really exist in an Oracle world. Further our extensive use of XML and the differences there would almost seem to indicate a complete reworking. We are going to try to get a small portion of the app up and running first and see what happens. From there we will try to improve that and once we are happy with the performance again we will start on another area of the application. As a very first pass we are just going to try to get the table structures and views over, and will probably start by using some third party tool to help. Being completely foreign to this I think just getting something on there would be a good way to get up to speed quicker.

In case anyone is interested you can check us and our app out at http://www.coolblue.com Again thanks for the assistance, I am sure I will be back for more.

--
Have fun,
Bill Lucas
"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com> wrote in message

> Agreed, good points. As a colleague of mine once said "performance
is part
> of the job" (meaning you don't bolt it on later.)
> Jin
> "Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > On 18 Oct 2002 22:07:07 -0500, Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >But, porting is certainly a reasonable first step in
reengineering?

> > Both have to be done primarily by humans.
> > It is a well-known fact that humans can be lazy. Chances are the
> > porting is done, and the re-engineering is postponed until a
> > subsequent release, especially as developers unfamiliar with
Oracle
> > won't even notice they are selling a crap application off.
> > One of my customers have sold such an application and is using it.
> > The vendor is very unwilling to make any chances, as it seems to
need
> > to run on multiple platforms. Is it ever going to work? One of the
> > largest tables is subjected to 4 statements which all have a full
> > table scan by design. Whatever optimizer you are going to use, it
will
> > choose that dratted fts. The vendor seems to refuse to change
those
> > statements. In the mean-time the customer wants to run 10 times as
> > much business as he is doing now using this un-scalable
application