Re: Implementing Redundant Systems

From: David Simpson <dsimpson_at_dotcomsolutionsinc.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:15:15 GMT

Ronnie,
You might be interested to know that with Oracle 9i, if you add a datafile to the primary database the standby database can be configured to automatically add the datafile as well. I configure my standby instances this way in order to reduce the DBA workload. I also use a series of menu driven Perl scripts to automate much of the setup and switchover tasks as well.
So if it has any bearing on your procedures, you might consider 9i as it does reduce some of your workload of managing a standby db. Here are some scripts which perform this setup:

http://www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net/products/installgen/installgen_files_sol90 1.html

Advanced Replication can be another alternative to consider using as well:

http://www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net/support/repgen/repgen_tn_replication_desig n.html

David Simpson
www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net
(Oracle Replication Consulting & Tools)

"Ronnie Yours" <ronnie_yours_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ap12o1$ljf$1_at_nntp-m01.news.aol.com...
> Hi,
>
> We have OAS4.0 running as a web server and oracle 8.1.7 as a database
> server. This web server points to the database server.
>
> Whenever OAS or the database server is down our website is down
completely.
> We need to have a setup where the downtime is not much... say 1/2 hour at
> the max.
>
> Whats the best way to implement redundant systems so that we have our site
> up and running most of the time. We are looking for redundancy for both
OAS