Re: Net8 IPC protocol & BEQUEATH protocol

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:40:31 GMT

Jim Stern wrote:
> As far as I can tell, it is used by the Oracle server itself. It may also
> be used by Oracle Parallel server to handle intraserver communications.
> Have you queried technet or metalink yet?
>
> Jim
>
> "Harry Sheng" <hsheng_at_innovance.com> wrote in message
>

>>It seems if the client and server reside on the same Solaris machine,
>>Net8 BEQUEATH protocol is used no matter how u config your tnsname.ora
>>or listener.ora, and the listener is by-passed.
>>
>>What is that IPC protocol for on Solaris (or any UNIX) box if it can never
>>get used ?

This is from the O'Reilly book "Oracle Net8 Configuration and Troubleshooting" by Hugo Toledo and Jonathan Gennick:

"A Bequeath connection is one that is made to a database on your local machine without going through the Net8 Listener. Normally, when you connect to a remote database, the listener creates a dedicated server process for your connection. Oracle's Bequeath protocol creates that server process for you directly, without the benefit of a listener."

"Like Bequeath, the IPC protocol is used for connections to a database on a local machine. Communication between client software and server software is then accomplished using operating system specific inter-process communications methods. Unlike the Bequeath protocol, use of the IPC protocol requires that a Net8 Listener be up and running."

I assume the same is true of 9i. Received on Tue Oct 22 2002 - 10:40:31 CDT