Re: RedHat AS or SLES on Oracle 9i R2 EE?

From: dmz17 <dmz17_at_nospam.nowhere.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:39:07 +0200

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:26:03 +0000, David Winkler wrote:

> HI everybody!
>
> I'm sure this is not the first time that
> this kind of question has been asked,
> but I couldn't find any answer which
> satisfies me ...
>
> Following scenario:
>
> IBM x345 Server (Dual Xeon 2x2.4) ...
> A second sever for mirroring the Oracle-DB on the x345
> Oracle 9i R2 EE
> A Java ERP-Application
> About 30-40 Users
>
> Wich arguments speak for and against RedHat AS or Suse SLES?
> Btw. I have heard of a patnership between Oracle and RedHat.
> Which kind of partnership?
>
> Thanks in advance (and sorry, my english ...)
>
> David Winkler

I believe there is no difference. The partnership probably came about because SuSE (the other Oracle darling) got to be very friendly with IBM.

I have tried both distros. RH using ext3 was 30% faster than SuSE using ReiserFS. Not a fair comparison, but there it is.

Look at this: http://otn.oracle.com/tech/linux/content.html

and it should be pretty clear which way Oracle is leaning ;-) Cheers,

dmz17 Received on Tue Oct 22 2002 - 06:39:07 CDT