"CPU Mask" on E6500

From: Ralph <rlro99_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 22 Oct 2002 03:36:29 -0700

Hi All

We are running oracle 8.1.7.3 EE on a veritas cluster of two E6500 (Solaris 7 14cpu + 14gb ram).

After starting a statistical analysis of library cache latch contention and cpu utilisation against "work done" by call centres, it became apparent that we were suffering increased CPU utilization (15 - 20%) and latch contention (not sure about the order) on box A over box B.

The two boxes are meant to be identical. When our unix guy ran some diagnostics on each box and compared them he discovered that two of the cpus on box A had incorrect CPU mask settings. After speaking to sun engineer it appears that this setting is incorrect though he couldn't say whether correcting it would fix our cpu utilisation issue.

Can anybody shed any light on this? Nobody seems to be in much of a hurry to sort it and it's playing havoc with out capacity forecasts!

Cheers
Ralph Received on Tue Oct 22 2002 - 05:36:29 CDT