RMAN Version Conflict

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:20:13 +0200

I've posted this on Metalink but found little help there.

Szenario:

Oracle 8.1.6.3 on Windows NT 4 SP6a (production system) Oracle resides on 1 of 2 nodes configured as cluster.

RMAN Repository is 9iR2 on a Windows 2000 SP2 Server. (backup system)

The repository was freshly created (at least 5 times so far) with oracle rman 8.1.6 from the production db. Create catalog worked after setting event 10932 according to some note i've found in metalink. Unsetting event and upgrading to catalog version 9iR2 worked also.

Now when I try to do a full database backup or a tablespace backup to file on the production system, rman crashes and Dr. Watson pops up. This happens when using the repository. Without repository, the backup succeeds.

However, I can do a backup archive logs or backup controlfiles. The commands

	list backup
	list backupset archive log all

cause rman to crash as well.

For the moment I have to use an 8.1.7 instance on the backup system to get rman working. I'm thinking about upgrading that one to 9iR2, maybe that helps.

Has anyone experience with RMAN 8.1.6, good or bad, on a Oracle 9i Repository?

And I know that Oracle 8.1.6 is desupported. I just want to have a working backup solution before I start fiddling about with a upgrade to 8.1.7 on a cluster setup.

Thanks for your help

Holger Received on Tue Oct 22 2002 - 05:20:13 CDT