Re: No subject was specified.

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 10:59:02 +0200

Cynthia wrote:

> We have a fresh install of oracle 8.1.7 on an solaris 2.8, and for some
> reason we're unable to start the listener
>
> when started, complains with:
>
> TNS-12546: TNS:permission denied
> TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
> TNS-00516: Permission denied
> Solaris Error: 13: Permission denied
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

Seems like the Unix userid being used to run the listener lacks the privs. As what user did you install Oracle as and as what user do you try and run the listener?

If this is happening via an /etc/rc-whatever startup script, it is run as root, in which case the environment is likely invalid for running Oracle software. Rather use the su command to have root starting up the listener as the Oracle user.

Or.. you "accidentally" changed file and dir permissions or group or owner of Oracle directories and/or files. This can even cause the Oracle user itself being unable to run something like the listener. (happened to me once - which was nothing compared to getting the fork() result the wrong way around and have a child think it is a parent ;-).

Oh yeah - last thing. Error message are always given in sequence. You need to work your way down. The actual error is not the TNS errors.. these are symptoms/causes of the lower level error.. i.e. the Solaris Error 13 in your case. So that means an o/s problem.

--
Billy