Linux virtual IP/hostname for Oracle

From: Grant <canuck_tech_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Oct 2002 22:31:44 -0700

Greetings,
I have two SuSE 7.2 Pro servers, one acting as a primary, the other a standby for hosting an Oracle database. There is nothing specific per se in terms of apps/Linux setup that makes one the primary and the other the standby. They are just two machines sitting there each with their own IP and the database will be running on one of them at any given time.
I'm trying to find out how to setup a virtual IP/hostname for these machines, so that I can make accessing the database transparent as to what server it's running on. I've used Vertias' clustering software on Solaris previously, and I'm trying to replicate it on Linux.. without the automated failover of course. How can I do this? I've done some research and sorta-know about LVS, but I'm an Oracle DBA, not a Linux techie, so I'm looking for the easiest solution without having to get really fancy or require kernel rebuilds etc.
What's the easiest solution?
Thanks!
Grant Received on Tue Oct 22 2002 - 00:31:44 CDT