Re: Restore Database different versions

From: michael ngong <mngong_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Oct 2002 10:55:24 -0700

lve3162_at_yahoo.com (lve) wrote in message news:<93096888.0210200407.52c25a96_at_posting.google.com>...
> Compatible parameter on the source database is 8.1.0. After reading
> your response, I believe database should open. Please confirm. I
> will appreciate it greatly.
>
> thanks in advance
> lve
>
> Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<gfd3ru8ao00ok3ltkfsk2b08bf138tfaiq_at_4ax.com>...
> > On 19 Oct 2002 12:23:03 -0700, lve3162_at_yahoo.com (lve) wrote:
> >
> > >I have a cold backup from a database which is running on oracle
> > >8.1.7.2. The cold backup was taken after shutting the database in
> > >'normal' mode. I have the control files, data files and log files and
> > >also initialization (init.ora) file.
> > >
> > >I want to restore this database on a different machine which is
> > >running oracle version 8.1.7.4. The directory structure on the new
> > >machine is different from the source machine from where the backup was
> > >taken.
> > >
> > >Question is : Can I restore 8.1.7.2 backup to a machine running
> > >8.1.7.4? If yes, do I need to do something different or do I proceed
> > >as if both machines had the same version.
> > >
> > >Thanks
> > >
> > >Lve
> >

> > If you have the init.ora compatible parameter set to 8.1.7.2, it's
> > probably not going to work. If the compatible parameter is 8.1.7 it
> > might work.
> > Hopefully you have issued
> > alter database backup controlfile to trace
> > on the source database.
> > If not be prepared, the database is not going to open.
> > You can reconstruct. In that case you'll need to startup mount
> > and issue alter database rename datafile statements to get the file
> > locations correct.
> >
> > Hth
> >

> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
> >
> > To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

With a different directory structure your database files will have different paths which may not be recognized if the file structure is changed.

Even before you get to the initialization issue .

(It did not work for me when the files had different paths after a restore).
Bring down the instance.
set _system_trig_enabled=false in the init<SID>.ora file restart instance

.... read Oracle8i Patch set Version 8.1.7.4 for details You may have to follow the normal steps for the patch set devoid of installation
If your machines have the same version of whatever OS, you may not need to relink Oracle if not you may have to relink Oracle in addition

Michael Tubuo Ngong Received on Mon Oct 21 2002 - 12:55:24 CDT