Re: DB_NAME, INSTANCE_NAME

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 03:55:08 +1000

Instance Name is not compulsory, but is used when an Instance performs dynamic registration with a Listener. Without it, the Instance registers itself with its ORACLE_SID value. With it, it can register itself as pretty much anything, though the advice is still to set it to the same value as ORACLE_SID generally. Whether it's compulsory with parallel server, I can't recall. It is required with RAC.

What's db_name for? First, it's used at instance startup: it needs to match the database name found in the control file, so you know you're starting with the correct init.ora. Secondly, it and db_domain are concatenated to generate the service name when registering with the Listener (although you can also specify service_names to achieve the same thing directly).

Regards