Re: Sartup failure due to init parameter: LOCK_SGA

From: Jetlag <jetlag11235_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Oct 2002 07:23:56 -0700

Thanks for the help. Comments inline.

> The error is telling you the truth
> Linux Error: 1: Operation not permitted
> Some O/S do not allow this parameter to be set.

The Oracle documentation claims that this parameter is ignored when not supported by the O/S. Further tests (with mlock) indicate, however, that this may not be correct.

> The only OS i have looked at using this parameter was Windows NT due to
> some nasty memory/paging allocation habits i.e the O/S stealing memory
> pages even under low memory load conditions.

It was not a necessary parameter to set. My intent was to use it to test how much memory I could allocate to Oracle. I have minimal (and haphazard) DBA skills, yet I have been left to configure/maintain the server I develop on.

> Check the linux doco on the disk caching/paging algorithm, you might
> find that you can limit the amount of memory which can be used by linux
> to cache physical files in memory and therefore limit the chance of
> Oracle's memory area being paged to disk.
> We use a limit on our dedicated database unix server for similar
> reasons.

This is indeed possible, but based on your comment and the following comment, I realize that I would probably be better off not messing around with things that work adequately now.

Thanks again.