Re: Restore Database different versions

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 21:46:23 +0200

On 19 Oct 2002 12:23:03 -0700, lve3162_at_yahoo.com (lve) wrote:

>I have a cold backup from a database which is running on oracle
>8.1.7.2. The cold backup was taken after shutting the database in
>'normal' mode. I have the control files, data files and log files and
>also initialization (init.ora) file.
>
>I want to restore this database on a different machine which is
>running oracle version 8.1.7.4. The directory structure on the new
>machine is different from the source machine from where the backup was
>taken.
>
>Question is : Can I restore 8.1.7.2 backup to a machine running
>8.1.7.4? If yes, do I need to do something different or do I proceed
>as if both machines had the same version.
>
>Thanks
>
>Lve

If you have the init.ora compatible parameter set to 8.1.7.2, it's probably not going to work. If the compatible parameter is 8.1.7 it might work.
Hopefully you have issued
alter database backup controlfile to trace on the source database.
If not be prepared, the database is not going to open. You can reconstruct. In that case you'll need to startup mount and issue alter database rename datafile statements to get the file locations correct.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Oct 19 2002 - 14:46:23 CDT