Re: SW vendor insists on RBO

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:51:44 GMT

Peter van Rijn wrote:
> Now we're getiing to my point. I really intended to use the CBO, even when
> our SW vendor advised against it, I'm pretty sure 8.1.7 CBO is usually
> better than RBO. But now I have my doubts. What other surprises can I
> expect? I never would have thought I'd encounter software problems because
> of using another optimizer. Any ideas, experiences, advices? TIA.
>
> Peter

You could always skip computing the statistics on that particular table. If the CBO doesn't find any statistics, it will hand off to the RBO. I am assuming you can't modify the code (most vendors don't allow that) or you could put a RULE hint on the SELECT. Of course, you might be able to get sneaky and create a view using your hinted SELECT and assign a synonym of the same name as the table. I believe (I just could be wrong since I haven't tested the theory) Oracle will choose the view before it chooses a table of the same name. Received on Fri Oct 18 2002 - 18:51:44 CDT