Re: Suse Linux Oracle Server - Partitioning

From: Jon Kimball <jon.online_at_notexcite.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 12:29:40 -0700

It really depends on how many physical disks you have, how big they are, etc. If you just have one big drive you don't gain a lot by having multiple partitions and mount points all over the place.

I have a 4 @ 4.3G scsi drives. The default install dir for Oracle 9i on Suse 8 is \opt\oracle.
Disk1 / ~ 4G the pro edition is 1.3 w/o star office. Mines around 2G now (also have a 512M dos partition on here - just in case :)

Disk2 /opt 2~4G Enterprise will take about 1.5G. Leaves space for control files and other things you may need

         (ram *2) swap up to 1G (this on the same physical disk as disk2 in my setup. I have 1G swap and 3G for \opt on a 4G drive) Disk 3..4..5 /uo1../uo2../uo3 etc. This is where your data goes, I have two disks and a 45G IDE drive for data. lately I have been lazy and just throwing the whole thing on the IDE drive in one directory. Not good form, but it sure is easier!