Re: Unix newbie question - dbsnmp

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 18:01:16 GMT

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 17:13:28 GMT, Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:

>Ed Stevens wrote:
>
>> Just when I was starting to get a bit comfortable with Oracle on NT, I'm told
>> I'll be taking responsibility for some db's on AIX. I know next to nothing
>> about the Unix world (going to a class next week) so am back in the 'newbie'
>> catagory for some things.
>>
>> Got the book "Oracle DBA Checklists" from O'Reilley. Looks like a handy little
>> reference of things the DBA should do daily, weekly, monthly, etc. and VERY
>> Unix-centric. One of the 'daily' tasks is to check that the DBSNMP process is
>> running. It states that there should be *two* dbsnmp processes running. My
>> question is 'why two?' On NT we only have one dbsnmp service. When I log on to
>> my newly acquired AIX box and do
>>
>> ps -ef | grep dbsnmp
>>
>> it seems to only list one process, though it's still all a bit cryptic to me.
>> --
>> Ed Stevens
>> (Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)
>
>It appears that your Oracle databases are not using Oracle's Intelligent Agent and
>that you have zero processes running.
>
>Forget what the book says on this one. It is not necessary.
>
>Daniel Morgan

Now that's advice I can live with! I can already see that the book has a lot of chaff to be seprated from the wheat. First, it's *very* Unix centric. For instance, this command was given under a point of daily checking that dbsnmp processes are up. The author didn't even hint at how one might check this on a non-unix system. And he just made the assumption (because his shop does?) that everyone should have two dbsnmp processes running.

On the next page, another daily 'to-do' item is listed as simply "Gather daily sizing information" -- no further explanation. Uh, yeah, ok.

Further down the same page (and we're only to page 7) he says " . . if any object has reached 200 as the number of current extents, upgrade the MAX_EXTENTS parameter in the INIT.ORA file." MAX_EXTENTS in INIT.ORA?????

In a broad sense, the 'to-do' points the author makes seem pretty good, but getting any useful specifics for either the NT or (now) Unix platforms I have to support is going to take some work. Oh well, that work should result in my getting a better understanding of a lot of things that I've gotten away with not having a good grasp on . . .

Now I'm beginning to wonder if anyone here has any experience with this book, and thoughts about it. The title is "Oracle DBA Checklists Pocket Reference", published by O'Reilly. The "author" is simply listed as "Quest Software."