Re: Oracle personal edition?

From: Kenneth C Stahl <ktsahl_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 18:04:01 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

> "Kenneth C Stahl" <ktsahl_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Alan Mills wrote:
> > >
> > > Excactly! I'd never bother installing anything other than enterprise
> > > edition. Even at home. If I was to install some other edition I know
> that
> > > sooner or later I'd want to get my hands on at least one of the missing
> > > features!
> > >
> > > Just not worth the risk of needing to upgrade later, IMO
> >
> > Does this mean that you make it a common practice to illegally pirate
> > commercial software. The cheapest price I have ever seen for the
> Enterprise
> > Edition is $800 for a single named user and the prices go up from there.
> Or do
> > you simply not care that you are not paying for an Enterprise license on
> your
> > home system? I wonder if Oracle would be interested in this type of
> piracy?
>
> You are a looney, pure and simple.
>
> The Enterprise Edition is available for free download, without restriction,
> provided you never put it to commercial use.
>
> Now go away and lecture to someone else.
>
> And learn to read the licence terms before you preach.
>
> HJR
I have read it and I'm also aware that a lot of people tap dance around the terms of the agreement. Under the terms of the agreement you may not do any development of applications and then move that code to another machine which is licensed without being in violation of the license. Under the terms of the license you may only store essentially trivial data. That means you may run a database application in your own home. Received on Fri Oct 18 2002 - 13:04:01 CDT