Unix newbie question - dbsnmp

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:17:25 +0100

Hi Ed,

What this "ps -ef | grep dbsnmp" means is : use 'ps' to list processes. The output from ps is then piped into 'grep' to see if any of the running processes have 'dbsnmp' in their details. Those that do will be listed, those that don't, wont !

The one process you have got, is actually the one that was looking for dbsnmp - you can see the command line at the end of the results you got back - 'grep dbsnmp'. What that means is, like me, you are not runniung any intelligent agents on your server. This is not a problem - at least not for me - but, your mileage may vary.

I actually have no idea what an intellifgent agent is, does, or should do - which is quite a confession I admit !

Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator