Re: Unix newbie question - dbsnmp

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 12:23:38 GMT

On 18 Oct 2002 01:26:59 -0700, tim.kearsley_at_milton-keynes.gov.uk (Tim Kearsley) wrote:

>spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow (Ed Stevens) wrote in message news:<3daed583.12384017_at_ausnews.austin.ibm.com>...
>
>> Got the book "Oracle DBA Checklists" from O'Reilley. Looks like a handy little
>> reference of things the DBA should do daily, weekly, monthly, etc. and VERY
>> Unix-centric. One of the 'daily' tasks is to check that the DBSNMP process is
>> running. It states that there should be *two* dbsnmp processes running. My
>> question is 'why two?' On NT we only have one dbsnmp service. When I log on to
>> my newly acquired AIX box and do
>>
>> ps -ef | grep dbsnmp
>>
>> it seems to only list one process, though it's still all a bit cryptic to me.
>
>Ed,
>
>I think you should be seeing two processes associated with dbsnmp on
>your AIX box. We're running Oracle 8.1.7 on AIX 4.3.3 here and all
>boxes have two dbsnmp processes running. Dbsnmp are the processes
>associated with the Intelligent Agent and the Agent listens on ports
>1748 and 1754, hence the two processes.
>
>Regards,
>
>Tim Kearsley
>Database Manager
>Milton Keynes Council

Ok, here's what I get. What does it all mean? How do I interpret the results. (remember, at this point I barely know how to log on to a *nix system.)

$ ps -ef | grep dbsnmp
  nmcdba 47286 45616 0 06:11:13 pts/0 0:00 grep dbsnmp

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)