Mimic incomplete recovery - Noarchivelog Mode

From: Nick <nick_hobbs_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 18 Oct 2002 04:48:28 -0700

Hi Folks,

8.1.7 on HP-UX 11i

According to Oracle 8i Backup & Recovery pdf:

When a NOARCHIVELOG database is restored to a new location (due to media failure at the original location), DBA should mimic incomplete recovery and cancel before opening the database with RESETLOGS options.

Question : What does the mimic of incomplete recovery actually achieve? I'm told it is necessary to allow RESETLOGS when opening the database. Does this mean the mimic is mandatory. Since the database has had a full database restore and file names have been altered I'm unclear as to why a faxed incomplete recovery should be necessary.

BTW I would test it out but I'm on DB2 at present about to move to an Oracle site.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Nick Received on Fri Oct 18 2002 - 06:48:28 CDT