Re: init.ora parm COMPATIBLE

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 21:32:56 +1000

Please understand what the compatible parameter does: it signifies what *data structures* are permissible, not what new features are allowed. With a compatible parameter set to 8.1... I can still do flashback in 9i -because flashback is a coding thing, and uses boring old rollback segments to make it work.

What I can't do is use Automatic Segment Space Management, because ASSM requires a bitmap to describe extent usage, and a bitmap to describe extent usage is a new data structure not seen before 9i.

So no, it's no surprise you can do "8i" things with an 8.0 compatible parameter if those 8i things are just programmatic magic, and not physically novel structures.