Re: Oracle personal edition?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 21:21:16 +1000

"Kenneth C Stahl" <ktsahl_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3DAF52BC.B69682_at_yahoo.com...
> "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
> >
> > There *is* a personal edition (see http://technet.oracle.com ...and the
> > downloads link). But I'd strongly advise you not to bother with it. If
you
> > are serious about learning Oracle then only the Enterprise Edition will
do.
> > It runs just fine on a 192MB PC with a single hard disk, despite its
name.

> > If a 1.5GB download doesn't sound much like fun, you can buy a trial
license
> > and a CD set for about US$40.
> >

> You must be extremely rich if you have the Enterprise edition (legally) on
your
> home system. Trial licenses expire.

Sodd off Kenneth. You're an idiot.

Read the license. Then tell me I'm doing things illegally.

> The personal edition is fine for learning Oracle and SQL. True, there are
some
> features that are absent from the personal edition, but if someone is just
> learning Oracle then they probably won't even understand those differences
or
> want to use them. All of the normal ANSI sql for DDL, DCL and DML are
> implemented. The features that are not implemented are Oracle proprietary
> extensions.

You just don't have a clue, do you?

The "proprietary" bits are what makes Oracle Oracle. You wanna learn some wannabe subset of the SQL standard which isn't even a standard? Go ahead... make my day. Access will do you fine. But learn your facts first, and know what you're posting about. Then someone might take you seriously.

HJR Received on Fri Oct 18 2002 - 06:21:16 CDT