Re: Unix newbie question - dbsnmp

From: Tim Kearsley <tim.kearsley_at_milton-keynes.gov.uk>
Date: 18 Oct 2002 01:26:59 -0700

spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow (Ed Stevens) wrote in message news:<3daed583.12384017_at_ausnews.austin.ibm.com>...

> Got the book "Oracle DBA Checklists" from O'Reilley. Looks like a handy little
> reference of things the DBA should do daily, weekly, monthly, etc. and VERY
> Unix-centric. One of the 'daily' tasks is to check that the DBSNMP process is
> running. It states that there should be *two* dbsnmp processes running. My
> question is 'why two?' On NT we only have one dbsnmp service. When I log on to
> my newly acquired AIX box and do
>
> ps -ef | grep dbsnmp
>
> it seems to only list one process, though it's still all a bit cryptic to me.

Ed,

I think you should be seeing two processes associated with dbsnmp on your AIX box. We're running Oracle 8.1.7 on AIX 4.3.3 here and all boxes have two dbsnmp processes running. Dbsnmp are the processes associated with the Intelligent Agent and the Agent listens on ports 1748 and 1754, hence the two processes.

Regards,

Tim Kearsley
Database Manager
Milton Keynes Council Received on Fri Oct 18 2002 - 03:26:59 CDT