Re: moving to Oracle need recomendations...

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 17 Oct 2002 22:09:12 -0500

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76956/toc.htm

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/em.817/a85250/toc.htm

> 2. Porting T-SQL Code to PL/SQL

You may want to use Migration Workbench to see how much it can do for you and then estimate from its output how much more work you have.

Also, before you go and port all of your T-SQL code to Oracle, you might want to try and rewrite some of your existing T-SQL code so the port is even less painful. (This is of course, after you figure out the pain points). This might be less cumbersome because your app is well debugged on SQL Server so changes there are likely to be faster to debug. Then, when the SQLServer specific stuff has to stay, port that to the Oracle specific stuff.

The nice thing is that you did database access in procs. All you have to do is test procs, not apps. Run both Oracle and SQLServer procs into tables and then diff the two outputs with selects.

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/appdev.817/a86030/toc.htm

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/network.817/a85430/toc.htm

> Our Target Network for this application is an NT 4 / 2000 domain with
> ORACLE Running on UNIX or NT Server. With at least one Windows 2000
> Server to handle IIS and COM+ for our middle tier.

Good luck.

As others have pointed out, the Kyte book is definitely worth it.

--
Galen deForest Boyer