Re: Java stored procedure performance dilemma

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 20:34:50 GMT

> I agree. Then again, I never learned PL/SQL ;-)

Maybe you should!!! Its pretty easy to pick up.

 The general rule of thumb goes as follows:

  1. If it can be done with straight SQL, then use straight SQL.
  2. If #1 is not possible, use PL/SQL.
  3. If #2 is not possible, then use Java.
  4. If #3 is not possible, then use C.

Of course, we are talking about accessing data and running stored procedure in the database, not in your application here. If I was doing something really complex, mathematically, such as working with Fast Fourier Transforms, then I wouldn't even be doing that in the database! I'd code it straight in my application and run it on an nice high-end workstation!!! ;)

Cheers,
Brian Received on Thu Oct 17 2002 - 15:34:50 CDT