Re: Questions about Standby Database

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 20:40:26 +0100

"Jeffrey Keung" <jkeung_at_hknet.com> wrote in message news:3DAEC7D1.9406817E_at_hknet.com...
> Sorry, I have forgotten to state the Version. I am using Oracle
8.1.7standard
> version.
> And i had setup the standby database but using manual recovery mode only.
> (Seems standard version didn't support managed standby database)

Absolutely right it doesn't. manual standby is the best you can do.

If you felt like sharing your scripts with the group I'd love to steal them <g>.

having said all that my personal take on the issue is that *if* a standby db is what your business really requires (as opposed to a periodically rebuilt/cloned one) then the business needs to pay for EE and managed standby. What happens if the DBA is taken out by the same disaster that kills the server?

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA