Setup read-only replication

From: Carlos Alberto <calberto2312_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Oct 2002 12:01:56 -0700

Hi all,

  I need to replicate to setup a read-only snapshot, with just one table. To do this, I have two databases with the same name, the same domain, and by default the same global_name parameter. To setup replication, I need to set global_names=true in init.ora, which implies that a public synonym must have the same name of the database it will connect to. Using Replication Manager, there´s a point in which it tries to create a public database link to access the remote site, and then I´m receiving the error :

ORA-02082 a loopback database link must have a connection qualifier

  Well, this behaviour was expected because of this environment. I thought about two solutions to this :

1 - Rename database global name at one site

2 - Create the public database link using a connection qualifier (as it is in the Oracle Documentation).

  My question is : which of these are correct? Or both? Do I need to do anything else regarding database links or not? In the second solution, this connection qualifier can be anything, like '@xxx' or it must be configured somewhere? I´m using Oracle 8.1.7.

Thanks in advanced,
Carlos Received on Thu Oct 17 2002 - 14:01:56 CDT