Re: Java stored procedure performance dilemma

From: dmz17 <dmz17_at_nospam.nowhere.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:11:00 +0200

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:29:28 +0000, Brian Peasland wrote:

>> In principle, I believe the current thinking is that for complex
>> math Java outperforms PL/SQL by a factor of 40-50.

> I don't doubt that, but the original post said that this routine was for
> "grunt-job string manipulation/processing". Why use Java for this?
>
> If I had complex mathematics to perform, I'd use an external C++
> routine, but that's just my 3.14159265 cents worth.
>
> Cheers,
> Brian

I agree. Then again, I never learned PL/SQL ;-)

Only Pascal, PL/1, REXX, C, C++, Smalltalk, Java

just about in the above order. Add sed and awk.

BTW, if one wants fast Java String handling, use byte arrays and forget about String and StringBuffer classes. This means one might as well use C or C++ anyway ;-)

Cheers,

dmz17 Received on Thu Oct 17 2002 - 12:11:00 CDT