Re: How to tune SQL to avoid ORA-03232 ?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:00:57 +0100

My email has stopped prefixing replies with the chosen symbol - until I find out why anything with "--" in front of it in the mix below is my comment.

--

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminar dates:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____USA__________November 7/9   (Detroit)
____USA__________November 19/21 (Dallas)
____England______November 12/14

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Billy Verreynne wrote in message ...
Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> A question - when do you make the trade-off between writing
> SQL which is human readable, and therefore subject to easy
> comprehension and quick modification by the next person,
> and writing SQL which is designed to do the job the optimizer
> ought to do.

Good question. Never thought about it that way. Likely because of two factors.

The CBO is not perfect. And I love to mess about wringing every drop of
performance I can from my Oracle SQL. :-)

Second reason. Human readability is not really the issue IMO. And actually
part of the problem. To explain - I am dealing with a couple of users with
no formal programming logic training. They tackle the problem in a "common
human readable way". The results are the most complex SQL statements I have
ever seen. Nested selects many levels deep. Unions. Inline views. Those
SQL's really run a couple of A4 page print outs.

--

The problem IMO is a lack of logic skills. You need to have some training
and experience to translate a "human problem" into a "computer solution".