Re: Function Based Indexes w/in UTF environment

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 15 Oct 2002 09:33:39 -0700

In article <b46f2705.0210150753.149bc786_at_posting.google.com>, carrie.maynard_at_aprimo.com says...

>In 8i+, you supposedly can create a function based index so that a SQL
>statement such as the following will still use an index:
>
>Select * from audience_members where upper(last_name) = 'SMITH'
>
>I need to know if this works on a UTF database and what happens when
>the where clause is multi-byte data.

yes it works.

the same thing that would happen with single byte data.

just the same as an index on audience_memebers(last_name) would work.

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte@oracle.com)             http://asktom.oracle.com/