Re: moving to Oracle need recomendations...

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:47:27 +0200

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:53:20 GMT, "Bill Lucas" <WCLucas_at_coolblue.com> wrote:

>I have already found the Concepts manual referred to in this news
>group, but I was wondering if more targeted information might be
>available for my particular situation. I have been an MS DBA for the
>last two years, and our company has recently released a SQL Server
>version of our application. Due to high customer demand we are
>getting ready to port our application for an Oracle 8i back end. I am
>digging through the concepts manual and starting to familiarize myself
>with the differences in nomenclature and structure. I will need to
>move on to some administrative stuff so I can come up to speed on
>Administrative tasks, Enterprise Manager and other such things.
>
>I was hoping someone here might be able to recommend additional texts
>to help me in the following areas.
>
>1. Administer Oracle and configuring Enterprise Manager
>2. Porting T-SQL Code to PL/SQL
>3. Returning Result sets in explicit XML Format (our middle tier
>consumes XML which is then returned to the client)
>4. General Security information especially in regards to Windows NT
>Security integration.

1 The Oracle Server Administrators Manual 2 the PL/SQL reference manual and the Application Developers Manual 4 Net8 Administrators manual and the NT specific manual.

You should NOT (I repeat: NOT) 'port' a sqlserver app to Oracle. It is NOT going to work. You'd better read the book by Thomas Kyte, especially the first three chapters, and return from your route to HELL. Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Oct 15 2002 - 11:47:27 CDT