moving to Oracle need recomendations...

From: Bill Lucas <WCLucas_at_coolblue.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:53:20 GMT

I have already found the Concepts manual referred to in this news group, but I was wondering if more targeted information might be available for my particular situation. I have been an MS DBA for the last two years, and our company has recently released a SQL Server version of our application. Due to high customer demand we are getting ready to port our application for an Oracle 8i back end. I am digging through the concepts manual and starting to familiarize myself with the differences in nomenclature and structure. I will need to move on to some administrative stuff so I can come up to speed on Administrative tasks, Enterprise Manager and other such things.

I was hoping someone here might be able to recommend additional texts to help me in the following areas.

  1. Administer Oracle and configuring Enterprise Manager
  2. Porting T-SQL Code to PL/SQL
  3. Returning Result sets in explicit XML Format (our middle tier consumes XML which is then returned to the client)
  4. General Security information especially in regards to Windows NT Security integration.

Our Target Network for this application is an NT 4 / 2000 domain with ORACLE Running on UNIX or NT Server. With at least one Windows 2000 Server to handle IIS and COM+ for our middle tier.

--
Regards,
Bill Lucas