Re: Oracle application from remote client, very slow

From: Krist <xtanto_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Oct 2002 21:14:49 -0700

Hi Billy,

> Yes. What also could be a problem is the way the network is configured. For
> example, if reverse DNS is enabled on the Oracle server, it may take the IP
> stack a lot longer to resolve incoming dial-in connections. This will cause
> dial-in clients to have a many times slower connection time.

Does this affect only the time required to make connection ? or does this also affect the time required for any subsequent SQL UPDATE from client ?

> Does the client driver use optimal TCP settings? For example, sending a 1KB
> SQL statement as a 100 IP packets is a lot slower than transmitting it as a
> single IP packet. This could be set via some Oracle ODBC drivers in the
> past (have not used ODBC myself for many years now).

We do use ODBC for connection from application. Where can I do set-up for TCP settings ? I don't see this setting when I go to setup system DSN with Oracle ODBC driver.

Thanks in advance,
Krist Received on Mon Oct 14 2002 - 23:14:49 CDT