Re: Oracle 8.x on Redhat 8.0?

From: wolftech <pinaula_at_speedsoft.com>
Date: 14 Oct 2002 12:28:56 -0700

John Sinclair <spam_at_sinclairfamily.net> wrote in message news:<20021012221303.54a63846.spam_at_sinclairfamily.net>...
> Anyone try to install either Oracle 8.0.x or 8.1.x on Redhat 8.0 yet? Any issues? I'm guessing that 8.0.x really wouldn't work at all (glibc stuff), but how about 8i on Redhat 8.0?

I did the process of an upgrade/installation of RedHat 8 and a fresh install of an Oracle 8i database on a development server where I work. The sequence of installation events is more critical in this OS/DB combo than, say, 8i on RedHat 7.3, but it does work. Here's what worked for me:

  1. Install Oracle 8i Release 3 (8.1.7.0.1)
  2. Apply patch for 8.1.7.4 according to directions. Since this is a fresh install, you can skip a number of database-altering steps. If not, you've got something like 19 steps to do for the patch.
  3. Apply the glibc workaround patch according to directions
  4. Create the database
  5. Configure using tools. I've successfully used dbassist to create the database, netca to add tnsnames, and dbastudio to create users and grant privileges.

Other permutations of this process failed to work for me. Either the java tools failed fully or partially, or the installation process itself failed. Otherwise, the server is cranking along quite happily.

Good Luck!
Dave Received on Mon Oct 14 2002 - 14:28:56 CDT