Re: Target is the ORACLE 9i RELEASE2!

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 14 Oct 2002 05:25:22 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<M00p9.49565$g9.143067_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...
> "Dusan Bolek" <pagesflames_at_usa.net> wrote in message
> Workspace Management and Bitmap Join Indexes. Oh, and the daddy of them
> all: Flashback.

Workspace Management looks good. Maybe we should use this in production, but first of all I have some ideas for using this in development and testing databases.
We're OLTP so BJI are not focused on our type of system. However, maybe in some special join cases it can improve our efficiency. This one must be evaluated very throughoutly before using it. Flashback sounds nice, but we will not need (I hope) this feature. Our database can be accessed only by application which is under heavy testing before going to production, so some human error should not occurs. However, from my experience I can remember few (quite a lot in fact) moments when I would pay a fortune for this feature. :-(

> Can't be a client to Version 7 databases?

Who gave a f*ck? People still using version 7 are doomed and no one can help them. Sorry administrators and developers, stupid managers or (mostly) backward application vendors. That's not are problem. Fortunately!

> Nope. You can keep global indexes validated, at the cost of your partition
> DDL now taking a lot more time than they used to. But local indexes still
> get invalidated.

In 8i was problem, that some objects got invalidated even if it was not necessary. There was a bug on metalink according to this. In 9.2 this should be corrected. We've got recently a lot of problems with this one.

> Tricky. The new features course is 5 days long. And that's just barely long
> enough. But a lot of that is dealing with esoterica you might never need.
> I'd concentrate on the things which look superficially similar to earlier
> releases but suggest a fundamental change of outlook -such as automatic
> undo, automatic PGA sizing.

I have a big fear of this. Exactly as Jim Stern said in another post: "you need to be real careful what bells and whistles you use, it can quickly overwhelm even an experienced DBA".

On top of it, we've people in DBA section that even has a problems with 8i, because is too new for them. Only few of them has some real experience with Oracle administration on at least junior level. So I expect a lot of problems from here.

> I genuinely think that you'll find 9.2 a pleasure.

I hope, because in fact I'm the leading sponsor of this upgrade and there will be a lot of whispering behind my back, if something would went wrong. :-)

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.