Re: Performance problem of query over SQL*Net.

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:55:34 +0100

Database level snapshots are unlikely to help. The fact that the problem is intermittent does suggest the effect is highly local (in time) and related to contention. You need to see what a specific session is waiting for when it actually gets stuck.

Yes, it could be a simple resource limit problem. Take a look at v$resource_limit on the local and remote machines and see if there are any items listed which have reached their max value, this may give a clue.

Is the remote system using MTS - do you have long-running calls that attach via MTS, this could cause all shared servers to in-use when your query arrives. MTS and long-running calls do not mix.

There are many reasons why this could happen, but without a first hint from knowing the waits - you could spend ages guessing.

Can you simply emulate the problem from an SQL*Plus session - identify the relevant remote session , and switch on the WAIT trace ?

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk