Re: ORA-00357: too many members specified for log file, the maximum is 2

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:38:36 +0200

Most likely the database was created with CREATE DATABASE ..... MAXLOGMEMBERS 2 .... That means there is only space reserved in the controlfile for 2 logmembers per redolog group.
To change it you need to recreate the controlfile. Do   alter database backup controlfile to trace; In the user dump dest you will find a trace file from where you can build the create controlfile statement.
I suggest you use maxlogmembers 5 and create databases in the future with this setting.

Please be aware of the drawbacks of recreating the controlfile. Check the documentation.
View v$controlfile_record_section gives more info about used and reserved space in the controlfile for different sections. See Oracle8i Reference guide for a description of the V$-views.

DaveK <DaveK_at_the.NEt> schreef in berichtnieuws O3Bp9.104488$Fw2.3414178_at_twister.austin.rr.com...