Oracle child process steals my socket

From: Tom Barnes <barnest_at_san.rr.com>
Date: 11 Oct 2002 17:54:41 -0700

We have a Java process that connects to Oracle through JDBC using the BEQ protocol. When connecting to the database an Oracle child process is spawned as expected. The Java process also makes a TCP/IP socket connection to an external system. Sometimes when we kill the Java process (kill -9) the Oracle child process stays up and in some strange way "inherits" the socket connection - the lsof utility shows the socket being owned by the Oracle child process (netstat also reveals that the port is still in use). In these cases we end up having to find the child process and manually kill it.

Shouldn't the child process automatically die when the parent is killed?
Why is the child keeping the socket file descriptor open? The child shouldn't have anything to do with the socket connection.

Oracle 8.1.6.1 EE on Solaris 2.7
Java 1.2.2_06

Thanks for any input,

Tom Received on Fri Oct 11 2002 - 19:54:41 CDT