Oracle 9i Client connections to Oracle 7 DO work (sort of) !!

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:42:06 +0100

Hi Howard,

ok, I admit - it works, but only for certain values of 'works' :o)

What TOAD uses is available from http://www.allroundautomations.com and is called direct oracle access. They say this about it :

<QUOTE>

Direct Oracle Access requires a Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000 or XP client, with SQL*Net, Net 8 or Net 9 installed. The supported Oracle Server versions are 7.x, 8.x, 8i and 9i on any platform. Direct Oracle Access is available for all recent versions of Delphi, C++Builder and Kylix.
</QUOTE>

So, they say it supports 7 on all platforms - and it appears to be so - so far anyway.

Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator