Re: Upgrading My OS from NT 4 to Win2000 with Oracle 8i

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 07:42:40 +1000

Anti-Microsoft rhetoric aside, the move you are making is a good one. But, and here's the rub, it is always an extremely bad idea to actually *upgrade* from NT to Windows 2000. Far better to wipe the old operating system entirely, and perform a clean install of the later O/S. That, of course, would require you to re-install Oracle and that in turn poses problems for your database -which are not insurmountable, by the way.

What would be ideal, of course, would be for you to have a second machine on which to install Windows 2000, do a clean install of Oracle, and manually create something which looks like your original database. Then you could export/import or use database links to populate the new database with the old data.

But that may not be practical for you.

In any case, there are no real issues running 8.1.6 on Windows 2000 if that is your main concern. Naturally, it's an old version, and it would be better if you could make the move up to 8.1.7 or even 9iR2. But again, that adds complexity to the upgrade process, and if you've only a week to do this in, it sounds like taking on such extra complexity is the last thing you want. A week is an awfully short time in which to pull this off if this happens to be a critically-important production database. The upgrade of the O/S itself of course only takes an hour or so, but what about testing??

Just a thought.

Regards