Re: ORA-12709 when starting the database

From: Karsten Farell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:29:41 GMT

Michael Geiling wrote:
> Karsten Farell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com> wrote in message news:<jIZo9.1710$826.131038382_at_newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>...
>

>>Michael Geiling wrote:
>>
>>>We generated a DB using DBCA->new database; this seemed to work ok.
>>>When we used sqlplus to start the db (startup pfile=...) we get the
>>>error 12709 which is an internal error related to the database
>>>character set.
>>>Are there any tips who to get around this error.
>>

> nowhere. The OSs I'm using is SuSE 8.0 and debian/woody along with
> Oracle 9iR2.
> Thanks

Do you have an Oracle MetaLink account? They're free, but do require that you pick a username/password. I found this (Note 1076156.6) and others when I searched there for ora-12709:

Solution Description:

Use the correct setting for the environment variable ORA_NLS33.

Per your platform specific Oracle Installation and Configuration Guide, the ORA_NLS33 parameter should be set to the following:

ORA_NLS33 = $ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data

To set the variable to the correct location, use the following syntax:

C-shell:
% setenv ORA_NLS33 $ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data

Bourne or Korn shell:
$ ORA_NLS33=$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data $ export ORA_NLS33

Restart your Server Manager session and restart the database.

Check the files under ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data directory.

  1. Verify the ownership/permissions on the files are correct.
  2. Verify the number of files in this directory are the same as the number of files in a previous backup or another database.
  3. Restore all files in this directory from backup.

Explanation:

Not finding the proper location for the NLS files, or some of the *.nlb files in the ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data directory are either missing or corrupt. These are the files needed to support your NLS settings. Received on Thu Oct 10 2002 - 11:29:41 CDT