Re: Connecting to server using SQLPlus through a gateway

From: Karsten Farell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:30:44 GMT

Jake wrote:
> I've heard this before, that the client starts the conversation on port
> 1521, but then is given a new, random port for the duration of the session.
>
> BUT, my real setup contradicts that:
>
> ---DSL---Linksys Router + Switch ----Oracle server
>
> On my linksys router I forward port 1521 to the IP of my Oracle server and
> all is OK. I can connect via sqlplus from the other side of the internet
> (i.e. externally).
>
> Maybe it's the port forwarding that is helping me out?
>
> Jay

I am not sure why your setup works. It doesn't take long for me to get way over my head in the networking world. :)

I only found out about the random port assignment after looking at a rather verbose net8 trace file (after consulting with oracle tech support). The trace file clearly (if that's possible for a trace file) pointed to the error ... a failure after the dispatcher took over on the new port.

I know that our net admin blocks all ports except those he knows about. Do you block all unknown ip addresses on your router? I have the Linksys router/switch at home, but don't block everything (should I admit that in a public ng?) so I can connect to the database from home.

At work, we implemented MTS to force (ask nicely) the dispatcher to use one of 3 "known" ports that our net admin allowed to be opened through the firewall to our oracle server (but only from that ip). Received on Thu Oct 10 2002 - 10:30:44 CDT