Re: Flat File Processing

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 10 Oct 2002 15:46:46 +0100 (BST)

Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote:
>Basically what I would like to know if anyone has done some serious
>intensive file processing via PL/SQL and if one should consider this as an
>option instead of using Pro*C.

If there was a lot of flat-file processing, I'd try to go for Perl with DBD::Oracle, calling some stored-procedures if the SQL was getting too complex.

The only downside is that while Perl ships as standard or as an included additional package on most commercial Unices, and probably all Linux distributions, but you'll probably have to install DBI/DBD yourself.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/