Re: Does anybody really use Oracle 8i on Win2k?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:04:07 +0100

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:Cfhn9.46149$g9.131997_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> Hi Niall,
>
> I protest !!
>
> What kind of sickos are you using for this experiment ;)

:(

> Do you like it :)

Actually no. I reach for the sick bag every time a piece of software is compared to a car. Especially if the word crash is involved. Just a pet hate because too often (though not in your case I hasten to add) its just lazy thinking. Of course playing chinese whispers with live human beings and the DB words is not so much lazy thinking as just damn weird :(.

What I do like is your distinction between tuning the buffer cache and tuning the database. Especially as what we are usually asked for by users is 'My application is running slow can you tune it?' Perhaps we are just so used to daft users that we start with the buffer cache which they didn't ask us about and not the application which they did :(.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA