Re: create package

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 9 Oct 2002 17:02:09 -0700

> hi Bakker, tnx for your answer and the time you spend behind this thread.
> maybe i did not explain myself right.
>
> we have this schema (s1), with some tables (t1) witch contain
> parameters, and some packages (p1) witch contain calculation algorythms.
> something like:
> t1.parameter1 + t1.parameter2 / t1.parameter3

This is OK.

> now, one day, our customers ask us to change this algorythm in something
> like
> t1.parameter1 - t1.parameter2 * t1.parameter3.

Still OK.

> befor we can do that, our customers can "archive" the current state of
> the schema. they do that, and anything in the production schema is
> "copyed" from s1, to s2 (our log schema). this thing has to be
> automated, of course. no manual intervention should me needed.
> so we have configuration1 in s2.

STOP. Have your customer/s and you heard about source code control system and versioning? Why mess around with copying source code of one schema to another schema and saving it in the database. Oracle is an RDBMS for heaven's sake...You are trying to use it to control versions of your source code that created the same database. Am I missing something here????

> now we can change the algorythms in s1, p1.
>
> the day after, our customers want to try the algorythms they used bevor,
> to look at the differences of the resoults.

Save versions in source safe and reapply any version whenever necessary.

> t1.parameter1 + t1.parameter2 / t1.parameter3
Is version 1
> t1.parameter1 - t1.parameter2 * t1.parameter3
is version 2 and so on

/Rauf Sarwar Received on Wed Oct 09 2002 - 19:02:09 CDT