Re: Target is the ORACLE 9i RELEASE2!

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 06:16:35 +1000

"Dusan Bolek" <pagesflames_at_usa.net> wrote in message news:1e8276d6.0210090539.3b01d1ed_at_posting.google.com...
> I've got the lead in project of upgrading our most critical database
> application from Oracle EE 8.1.6 to 9.2. Because I have no direct
> experience with 9.2, I want to ask all of you here who already moved
> to this version for your experiences, ideas etc.
> My questions are especially:
>
> 1. Which new features are really cool? I mean in reality, not on
> marketing papers. What we should implement as soon as possible. Both
> from programmer and from administrator point of view.

Workspace Management and Bitmap Join Indexes. Oh, and the daddy of them all: Flashback.

> 2. What are traps and pitfalls of 9.2? Something we should be aware of
> before running in productional environment.

Can't be a client to Version 7 databases?

> 3. How works partitioning in 9.2? Is really solved the problem with
> invalidating dependent objects while doing partition operations?

Nope. You can keep global indexes validated, at the cost of your partition DDL now taking a lot more time than they used to. But local indexes still get invalidated.

> 4. How much time we need to spend learning our DBAs new administration
> procedures?

Tricky. The new features course is 5 days long. And that's just barely long enough. But a lot of that is dealing with esoterica you might never need. I'd concentrate on the things which look superficially similar to earlier releases but suggest a fundamental change of outlook -such as automatic undo, automatic PGA sizing.

> I know that answers to some of questions above are in documentation.
> And I already know these answers. However my experience of IT
> professional taught me to believe more fellow IT sufferers than
> oficial documentation. :-(
> I will perform a lot of tests on my test server, before even starting
> migration preparation, but I want to know on which parts I should
> focus and also (of course) some time saving is always desirable.
> Maybe some answers can also help others here, not just me, because I
> think that lot of people across the world are right now in the same
> situation.

I genuinely think that you'll find 9.2 a pleasure.

Good luck
HJR