Re: ORA 12154

From: Karsten Farell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 17:21:51 GMT

Gerald Saurugg wrote:
> Hello
>
> I tried to install Oracle 9i Releace 2 Client tools on a Win2k SP3 machine.
> With Net Manager i am able to connect to the server, with SQLPLUS i cannot
> to this, i get ORA 12154.
> Has anyone an idea whats going one?
> thanks
> Gerald

You used an alias that OraNet doesn't recognize. Did you use a sqlplus command like this?

sqlplus scott/tiger_at_dbalias [you must define dbalias in tnsnames.ora]

or like this?

sqlplus scott/tiger [you must set ORACLE_SID correctly]

Your default domain setting in sqlnet.ora might be getting in your way. You might have two oracle homes and are using the wrong tnsnames.ora. You might have any of a dozen other problems (need more info to know).

This error always means you have a naming problem of some kind and you have to determine where it is. Received on Wed Oct 09 2002 - 12:21:51 CDT