Re: create package

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 19:14:03 +0200

On Wed, 09 Oct 2002 08:33:47 +0200, S2 <email_at_mail.com> wrote:

>Rauf Sarwar wrote:
>Karsten Farell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com> wrote in message
>
> > Any reason you cannot use VARCHAR2(32767)??
>no. no reason. i did that. but my packages are greater anyway.
>

> > More importantly... Why exactly you want to create a package on the
> > fly?
>i'll try to explain:
>we have a schema a, witch contains some packages that execute statistic
>calculations and other things on some data and parameters stored in
>tables in schema a.
>
>our customers need to "freeze" the state of the schema and restore it
>later on. this is done by copying the rows in the tables to another
>schema, b, and the packages are also saved to schema b, by copying the
>source in a table.
>
>this can be done several times.
>
>we don't want to use sqlplus, because we don't want to exit on a shell.
>
>now we have this scenario: n packages and n parameter/data
>configurations stored in schema b.
>
>the user can now choose one of these n configurations and put them back
>to schema a.
>
>this works for the rows in the tables, but the packages need to be
>restored also, and the limit of 32767 chars is killing me.

The obvious solution would be

- develop *one* package
- grant the users access to n schemas
- arrange the access to the tables in your package by setting up
appropiate synonyms, drop and recreate them when access to a different set of packages is required

Evidently : no need at all to create packages on the fly

If you think that doesn't work for you there's something seriously wrong with your development methodology.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Oct 09 2002 - 12:14:03 CDT